In all the commotion and excitement of moving, it can be difficult to remember the impact a new home move can have on your furry friend. That is why, in honor of National Dog Day, we bring you these helpful tips to make moving with pets as easy & stress-free as possible!
- Make sure your pet has proper identification. Before you move, ensure your pet has a fitted collar with ID tags listing your contact information and new address to ensure they don’t run off while you’re unloading boxes. Even if your pup is highly trained, it is important to remember that the stress of a move can make even the most obedient dog to run away due to unfamiliar surroundings.
- Prepare an overnight kit. Don’t let your furry friend’s food, medicine, toys, etc. get lost in moving boxes! Make sure to have all these things easily accessible to sustain your pet’s current habits and make them feel comfortable during the transition.
- Update your vet. Make sure your current vet knows of your new address or, if you are moving out of the area, be sure to have your pets vet records sent over to your new vet.
- Reduce stress. If your pet is easily stressed or requires more attention, it may be best to leave them with a friend for the day during the moving process or in a kennel overnight. If this is not possible, help reduce stress by keeping the animal in a quiet area with plenty of water and toys to keep them occupied.
- Seek out pet friendly hotels. If you are moving far away and are planning to stop for the night at a hotel, make sure you plan ahead to find a spot that is pet friendly. Also, while on the drive, make sure to make plenty of stops for potty and water breaks to keep your pet comfortable. If your pet is prone to car sickness, contact your vet a month prior to the move to ask the proper precautions or medicines available to help with this transition.